If you want to hear more of my review on this film, subscribe to RealMovieCritic on YouTube:
The Mountain Between Us started off as a good and interesting survival story, with that said, the ending was just too predictable to fully enjoy it!!!
Rating: 4 Stars
What I Like:
– I really enjoyed the first two thirds of this movie, it was an interesting survival movie that had great depth in character development
– I thought the acting chemistry between Idris Elba and Kate Winslet was really good, they both captured their role very well, and enjoyed seeing them survive together
– Some scenes were very thrilling, especially that plane crash in the beginning really had me on the edge of my seat
The So So:
– During their survival, the two characters actually had a budding romance which at first it didn’t bode well for me and thought it was weird, but as it progressed and explained it actually grew on me on the importance of love to survive the toughest conditions
What I Didn’t Like:
SPOILER THREAD (Don’t read if you haven’t seen it):
– The fact that they both survived (though it makes it a feel good story), I thought it wasn’t that realistic because all odds are against them for them to not survive, I predicted that one survived, so I was half right, but still not satisfied with the ending
– The other thing is after they survived it turned to a weird type of romance which really didn’t make sense for me, and that last scene was so eye rollingly bad and cliched that it almost (almost) made me not like the movie
I really enjoyed the survival aspect of this film. The thrilling scenes, the will to survive, and needing one another really made this a gripping tale for me to enjoy. However, the whole romance thing did make it weird and bad, and the whole predictability aspect really created a big gap between a good movie to a great movie. In that regard, it is disappointing, because it did have a lot of potential!!!
Rating: 4 Stars